We're honored to contribute to the discussion around diversity, inclusion, and access to technology at the Travis Foundation, and want to help highlight the work of others who are doing the same.
- "Talk about Nothing" - an examination of some of the rules that shape our experience, current society's roots in ancient philosophy, and how that impacts' our different realities in developing software today.
- "The Responsibility of 'Diversity'" - why there's a need for improvements in diversity in technology, how to have a conversation about it, and what to do when things go wrong.
- "How to survive in intersectional feminist spaces 101" - a really useful resource on intersectional feminism; contains some strong language
- "On Pie Chart Diversity at Technical Conferences" - an argument for diversity of experiences and opinions, above and beyond token racial diversity
- "Why Reverse Oppression Simply Cannot Exist (No Matter What Merriam-Webster Says)" - a discussion of how reverse oppression is impossible due to the way oppression works in social systems
- "6 Reasons Men Can Literally Never Be Victims Of Sexism — And Those Who Think They Can Need To Learn What 'Sexism' Is" - how sexism is different from discrimination, especially given historical context, power imbalance, and access to opportunities
Codes of Conduct
- "A Code of Conduct is Not Enough" - what can happen when a code of conduct is not followed at a conference, and lessons learned about managing code of conducts and events' culture
- "Abuse is Not Ok" - an examination of abusive behavior in open source communities and what to do instead of making or allowing personal attacks to go on
- "Managing Privilege" - an explanation of what is privilege and how to be responsible with it; Contains strong language
- "Ways Men In Tech Are Unintentionally Sexist" - a list that highlights specific, common behaviors in the tech industry that are also sexist
- "Unconscious Bias Theory in Employment Discrimination Litigation" - case review from Harvard Law Review focusing on unconscious bias in hiring and the workplace
- "Implicit Bias: A Primer for Courts" - information for legal professionals on how implicit bias works
- "Double Jeopardy?: Bias against Women of Color in Science" - UC Hastings College of Law paper on issues of bias against women of color in science
- "Privilege 101: A Quick and Dirty Guide" - Do you find the concept of privilege confusing? If so, this guide should help you understand a little more about what privilege is.
- "Dissent Unheard Of" - a discussion of what is silencing, how to identify it, what it looks like when it's happening, and what to do if you see silencing happening
- "Why Nerd Culture Must Die" - a discussion of how 'nerd culture' needs to respect the wider, and more diverse group of people who see themselves as 'nerds'
- "There's no Merit in Meritocracy" - a discussion of how communities that pride themselves on meritocracy can have an inherit exclusivity because of how power is balanced and imbalanced; Contains strong language
- "Ramp-Up.me" - information website that collecting information about making conferences accessible and inclusive
- "5 Essential Ways to Support the Autism Community in Autism Acceptance" - How to be inclusive of autistic people and support the autism community beyond autism acceptance
- "Guide to Allyship" - an informational website on who is an ally and how to be an ally
- "Being an Effective Ally to Women and Non-Binary People" - a discussion of terminology and how to be an ally, in the context of allyship to women and non-binary people
- "Tips for Allies of Transgender People" - a list of suggestions and explanations for how to be an ally to transgender people
- "Understanding Gender" - a basic overview of gender and its terminology
Gender Pay Gap
- "Women in the U.S. make 81 cents to the dollar men earn doing the same job" - definition of the pay gap, why it's illegal and unfair, and action steps for how to address it